Generator fume kill 2 FUTO students in Imo.
From Johnkennedy Uzoma, Owerri.
Fume (carbon dioxide) from a generator has killed 2 students of Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), Imo State.
The 200 level students who happened to be occupants of popular Jabulani hostel located at Eziobodo community identified as 21years old Udeagbala Kenechukwu and Anele Stephen 21yrs died after inhaling the smoke while sleeping.
The Imo State Police Command Public Relation Officer, SP Ikeokwu Godson Orlando confirmed the incident to newsmen in Owerri.
He said that upon a report recieved at the Divisional Police headquartets Nekede/Ihiagwa, operatives of the Division moved to Jabulani hostel and met the 3 occupants of one of the rooms, identified as Nkama Fred Eberechukwu of 22years old, Udeagbala Kenechukwu-21yrs and Anele Stephen 21yrs, all lying helplessly in the room.
He said that the operatives broke into the room and immediately evacuated them to the Federal Medical Centre FMC Owerri where two of the victims a 21yrs old Udeagbala Kenechukwu and his room mates Anele were confirmed dead by the Doctors on duty while
Nkama Fred Eberechukwu was successfully revived, and hebis presently receiving treatment.
The PPRO said that preliminary investigation revealed that the victims might have suffocated as a result of the fume (carbon monoxide) which emanated from their power generating set, which they inhaled while sleeping.
He said that the power generator was seen directly by the window in an enclosed space, and the fume discharging pipe pointing directly towards the window.